Institute of Policy and Strategy for Agriculture and Rural development
Initiative for Sustainable Landscapes (ILSA)
IPSARD is the think-tank of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural development (MARD). It has mandates to do policy research, consultancy and advocacy, policy dialogue and information in agricultural sector. IPSARD works in the fields of sector policy and strategy; agricultural commodity and market; rural institution; and environment and resources management. IPSARD is now involved strongly in designing and implementing agricultural restructure program in some provinces; in promoting agricultural commodity sustainable development, especially in coffee sector.
The agricultural development in the Central Highlands Vietnam contributed greatly to exports and economic growth in Vietnam. Thanks to economic liberalization, government leadership, and rises in the world coffee prices, Vietnam became the world’s second largest exporter of coffee and top producer of pepper globally. However, the intensive agricultural development brought also considerable environmental challenges. Issues such as deforestation and groundwater depletion will need to be addressed at a landscape scale to sustain high production and trade into the future and to allow for future economic prosperity in the region. There seems to be a compelling business case for supply chains, Vietnamese government and local farmers to tackle these challenges collectively.
Aiming to address these and similar challenges elsewhere in the world, IDH established the Initiative for Sustainable Landscapes (ILSA), which has 2014 as its inception year and 2015-2018 as the main implementation period. The Central Highlands of Vietnam is selected as one of the supported landscapes. IPSARD is now cooperating with IDH to prepare for this program.
The ILSA operates under the following fundamentals: An integrated and cross-sectoral perspective tailored to the local landscape and local needs; Engagement of all relevant stakeholders; explicitly including the private sector perspective sourcing from the area and Long-term commitment towards sustainable development of the landscape.
IPSARD would like to strengthen its team with one:
Technical Supervisor for the Initiative for Sustainable Landscapes
for the Central Highlands in Vietnam
The Technical Supervisor for the ISLA will provide technical advice to the development and implementation of the ISLA in the Central Highlands. The candidate will report directly to IPSARD’s Chief Advisor and Coordinator. Of primary importance are providing advice to the Chief Advisor in landscape analysis and stakeholder analysis; program designing and implementation; and public sector engagement
· Advices to ensure high quality of landscape and stakeholders analysis
· Advices to ensure high quality of program design (interventions and boundary)
· Information sharing and networking with related organizations and stakeholders
· Support in program management to ensure high quality of planning and reporting.
· Dialogues with public sector to engage them in the program and fund raising
· Program designing: Support the landscape and stakeholders analysis; intervention and boundary identification; governance structure and program planning.
· Public sector engagement: Support dialogues with public sector including central and provincial authorities; engage the public sector in the program.
· Technical knowledge: Apply technical expertise to the development of the program, including landscape and stakeholders analysis, intervention and boundary identification; governance structure and program planning; expert selection and monitoring.
· Fundraising: Keep abreast of current regional and/or local fundraising trends, so as to identify opportunities at an early stage, with the aim of securing funding for the programs, especially from public sector.
· Program management: Support program planning, reporting. Attend all meetings with IPSARD, IDH and other stakeholders.
· Based in Hanoi, priority given to good knowledge of the Central Highlands area and ecosystem
· Holding a university degree, preferably in business, agriculture, environment, natural resource management, or a comparable field of knowledge
· At least 6 years of working experience in program development and implementation in the area of sustainable agriculture management and/or in natural resources management.
· Experience in developing joint agendas with different stakeholders (e.g. Vietnamese Government, Private Companies, NGO) and in implementing multi-stakeholder programs
· Excellent convening, facilitation and negotiation skills
· Comfortable with working in a team as well as independently developing new programs.
· Willingness to travel extensively, mainly within Vietnam
· Fluency in spoken and written English, fluency in Vietnamese
Terms and Conditions
Full time job with negotiated salary
Candidates have chances to employed long-term by IPSARD after the program
For more information, please visit www.ipsard.gov.vn
For questions about this position, please contact Ms. Ha Lien at firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested candidates should send their CV and application letter (in English) to
We encourage applicants to respond as soon as possible, latest by 5th Jan 2015.