Protection of the name of the products through geographical indications (GI), exploiting the popularity that now many countries around the world apply, is the best way to help well-known products avoid fraud. The EU countries, India, Thailand, etc. have been very successful in GI protection.
In Vietnam, as of July 27th 2010, there have been 20 products registered as geographical indications/appellation of origin. However, implementation and management of GI in Vietnam are facing many difficulties, none of GI products in Vietnam are protected in the market. Businesses, manufacturers, farmers and commercial agents have not benefit from the development of GI. Moreover, the expectation of the actors when participating in building the model has not been met.
Within the operation of the project “Study on policy recommendations to support for development of small and medium enterprises in agricultural sector and rural areas – phase II + III ” (SMEs project), Information Center for Agriculture and Rural Development – Institute of Policy and Strategy for Agriculture and Rural Development (IPSARD) is implementing the activity “Research and policy proposal on GIs development of Vietnamese agricultural products” with the purpose of providing policy recommendations to facilitate the development and management of GIs in Vietnam.
In order to support effectively to the task above, it is necessary to mobilise different experts to conduct literature review, survey data analysis. Below describe the responsibility and scope of job of these expert:
- To generalise regulations and experiences on GI from other countries to create basis for policy recommendations on GIs in Vietnam
- To analyse survey data conducted on 2 models of GI in Vietnam – Tam Xoan Hai Hau rice and Doan Hung pomelo
III. RESPONSIBILITY FOR EACH EXPERT
1. Expert 1: Synthesize experiences from other countries over the world in building and managing GI product
- Study history, scientific baseline in building GI/appellation, Origin Denominations,... in several countries, with a focus on the Spanish model..
- Experiences of the mentioned countries in choosing products as GI products, zoning, process, application procedure, quality inspection, etc.
- Give out evidence in building GI in those countries, methodologies and lessons gained
- Synthesize regulations of Spain and EU for GI application, examination, and GI/appellation of origin protection as basis to compare, and work out strategy for GI system in Vietnam
- Synthesize experience in building management system for GI product, link to reality in Vietnam
2. Expert 2: Synthesize, analyze, assess activities relating to building, management and development of GI in Vietnam
- The protection of GIs under Vietnamese laws and regulations
- Management system on GI from center to local level. Advantages and disadvantages in management, lesson learnt
- Regulations on process, procedure for GI/appellation of origin registration, examination and notification in Vietnam
- Condition, process, procedure for obtaining GI, examining application form, grant GI registration for organizations, individuals, etc. Advantages and disadvantages, policy proposal
- Current models applied in managing and developing GI in Vietnam. Strength, shortcoming, and lessons learnt from the models
- Orientation for policy recommendation in GI management and development in Vietnam
3. Expert 3: Process and analyze survey data conducted on 2 models of GIs products as foundation for assessing management policy on GI product in Vietnam
- Using CSPRO for entering and tabulating survey data .
- Clear and process survey data collected in 2 models in accordance with 2 criteria:
Technical indicators related to production activities by the producer: the weight of seed, proportion, volume and composition of fertilizers used, level of compliance technical process of people, etc.
Economic indicators relating to the target groups in each model: area, yield, production, price and economic efficiency in production and trading of GI products
Determining the percentage of qualitative indicators such as variation of number of participants in the models, changes in practice, evaluation of the role of the Association, etc.
Running correlation regression model to analyse the relationship within technical criteria, economic criteria and the relationship of these two criteria
- Analyze technical performance and economic efficiency of process results
- Provide technical recommendations to impact and amend policy
- University degree and above in economics, economic development, public policy, institutional economics, and relevant fields relating to agricultural and rural development
- Have at least 5-year working experience in agriculture and rural development, policy study and analysis
o Expert 1 & 2:
- Experience or knowledge on different GI models of such countries as Spain, France, India, Thailand, etc.
- Experience in building GI management system in Vietnam is an asset but will not be determinant
o Expert 3:
- Competence in using such software as CSPRO, STATA (or SPSS), etc. And other relevant sotfwares. Competence in using correlation regression model
- Experience in processing and analyzing agricultural product related data particularly technical analysis
- MBA and above is advantage.
- Knowledge about GI models.
V. WORKING MECHANISM
Working time for each expert is expected as follows:
- Expert 1: 30 days; starting tentatively from January/Feburary 2011.
- Expert 2: 25 days; starting tentatively from January/Feburary 2011.
- Expert 3: 22 days; starting tentatively from March 2011.
The experts’ fees are generally defined by experience and capability of the expert according to current UN-EU guideline for financing of local costs in cooperation development with Vietnam.